Sunday, February 1, 2009

The Dog in the Woods

So I was sitting at my computer earlier today, just blogging. My computer room is surrounded by glass windows on two sides, and you can see the woods from each side. I was just staring off and out of the corner of my eye I saw something run past the snow in the back. There's a ton of wild animals in my back yard. There are turkey, deer, squirrels, and one time I even saw a hawk fly by. But this time it was dog. I'm not sure what breed it was, but it was smooth haired and white with golden brown spots. He (or she) was running past, and I had never seen this dog before. It didn't
look to be homeless, but it seemed to be lost. I got worried that the dog wouldn't find its way home, as one of my fears is that my dog could runaway and get lost forever. So I immediately put on my coat and my shoes. I went back out to the computer room to pinpoint the where the dog was in the vast woods, but it was nowhere to be found. The poor thing was lost in the wilderness with no sense of survival skills except for the ones he was born with. It would've been a lost hope for me to go out in the woods and search, for the dog was nearly sprinting and I wouldn't have been able to call for it. Much to my chagrin, I was compelled to take my coat and shoes off and begin typing away again.

After the Super Bowl I came back home, and the first thing I hear is barking from the woods. It wasn't very distinct so I had no idea from where the barking was coming. For all I knew, this dog could've been the dog that lived next door or two doors down. However, my gut told me that it was this dog that I had seen earlier. Again, it would've been a lost hope for me to go searching for the dog, for its bark ceased after only ten seconds or so. I felt bad though that I hadn't acted before. I should've kept my eye on the dog and gone out for it. That's what I would've wanted someone else to do if they had seen my dog. The dog is still out there I think in the woods. The only cover it has is cold snow and its frame is made of ice. If only I had another reason to searching for the dog. I wish there would be a sign.

No comments: